Saturday, October 29, 2011

Paint Resist by Alice

Hello, all! It's Alice here and I am sharing a technique that I am using more and more these days. It's a resist technique with acrylic paints. I first learned of this technique from the almighty Tim Holtz and here is how I do it.

You will need:


  • Cardstock you intend to use for your card. I am using my white card base here.
  • Background stamps. I am using the versatile Essential Backgrounds - Spots & Dots.
  • Acrylic paint. You can use the color of your choice. I am using Snow Cap Acrylic Paint Dabber from Ranger for this since it's such an easy way to apply them.
  • Inks. I am using my beloved Distress Inks in Vintage Photo, Barn Door and Wild Honey for this background.



First, apply paint to the background stamp of your choice. I am using the polka dots with script from Essential Backgrounds - Spots & Dots set. Try to coat the stamp with a even thin layer of paint.




Stamp on the paper you intended to use. I am using this as my background, so I stamped them right on the card base. 




Here is the card base all stamped. I usually walk away to wash the acrylic paint on my stamp with water after stamping and it gives the perfect time for the paint to dry.




All you need to do now is to ink your stamped piece for desired look. I used Vintage Photo, Barn Door and Wild Honey distress inks.




After inking, I grabbed a damp paper towel and lightly wiped off the excess inks sitting on the acrylic paint and the white showed up better. Now you have a piece of costume background ready to go on your project. Easy Peasy, huh? =)

Here is the finished card made using the background I created with this technique. 


I used the beautiful Willow with Cookies for my card and she is colored with Copic markers. Since the craft area set up that I have right now doesn't have an easy access to electric outlets, I think this technique is a wonderful alternative to the embossed resist technique. Hope you will give it a try! =)

Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!

hugs,
alice

10 comments :

  1. Thanks!
    Beautifull card :-))
    Greetings from Slovenija,
    hugs Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super, merci pour ces explications! Bises. Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a very nice card. Thanks for showing how to get that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty, alice! and i love this tecchnique--tfs:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ficou muito lindo!
    Bem alegre e harmonioso!
    Muito obrigada pela dica!

    Abraços!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic... I would like to try immediately... thanks
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tutorial Alice and your coloring is absolutely amazing. You alway inspire!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice's tutorial is SUPER FABULOUS!! Love her card and technique! You rock, Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tutorial, Alice! Love that resist technique using acrylic paint. Beautiful card, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...